I have to say this is my most exciting recipe so far. I just didn’t know that these could be so easy and so fun! My dear little niece helped me and we had A Blast! 🙂 There are lots of gummy bear recipes floating around the web using jello and gelatin (see here) but I tried using fruit juice concentrate, And It Worked!!! They are really truly just like gummy bears and they taste so good! 🙂
7 Tbs. good quality gelatin
3/4 cup 100% fruit juice concentrate, thawed
1/2 Tbs. bottled lemon juice
Fun chocolate molds in whatever shapes you want
1. Measure gelatin into a medium/small stainless steel bowl.
2. Stir in fruit juice concentrate and lemon juice.
3. Let it sit 5 minutes to bloom (the gelatin absorbs the liquid.)
4. Meanwhile, bring a small pot of water to boil (just a little bit of water for a double boiler.)
5. Turn the water off once its boiling, and sit the stainless steel bowl on the rim of the pot of the hot water, and stir it until the gelatin all melts. It will be gooey and syrupy, but not lumpy.
6. Pour into a measuring cup, or something with a spout so you can pour it.
7. Pour into chocolate molds, (no need to grease) but be careful! It’s easy to pour too fast. 🙂
8. Put full molds in the refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes.
9. Pull them out and Eat!! 🙂
*I tried these using 2 (1 oz.) boxes of Knox (8 packets) which did the job but was a little shy of the 7 Tbs. – so if you need to use Knox, I’d use a little extra.
*Gelatin can get funny with the enzymes in raw juice, so if you want to use raw lemon juice, just bring it to a boil. (I liked using lemon juice, but I don’t think it’s necessary for the process.)
* We tried it with Apple Raspberry Juice, Grape Juice and Orange Juice. They were all good, but the combinations were the best. 🙂
*I got the chocolate molds at AC Moore for 1.99 each. If you don’t have molds, I would just pour blobs on a sheet pan or a plate.