These are so yummy it almost hurts. My original inspiration came from this recipe. But I prefer mine with coconut oil and salt. These Sweet Potato Crisps are super crunchy, caramelized, sweet/salty, and is my favorite healthy snack food. I think they are tastiest when made with Japanese Sweet Potatoes, which are white on the inside with purple skin. They just caramelize extra well. But this recipe works great with any kind of yam or sweet potato. Enjoy! 🙂
1 or 2 Japanese Sweet Potatoes or Yams
1/4 cup (ish) of coconut oil
1. Pre heat oven to 400 degrees. Place coconut oil on a cookie sheet and put in the oven to melt. (If the weather is warm and your coconut oil is already melted, you can skip the melting step.)
2. Slice the Sweet Potatoes into semi thin slices. (This is much a matter of taste…)
3. Place the sweet potatoes in the melted coconut oil, then flip, so both sides are coated. Fill the cookie sheet full of slices, coated with coconut oil on both sides. *You can also dip the slices in a bowl of melted coconut oil and place them on your cookie sheet. This makes them more dry, if you prefer a little greasy, put the coconut oil in the bottom of the cookie sheet.
4. Sprinkle with salt to taste.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Flip, and bake for 10 more minutes. The timing will very much depend on how thick you sliced your yams, so its a good idea to keep an eye on it. Some of them will need to be taken out after the 30 minutes, some will need the extra 10. If they are starting to burn after 30 minutes, take them out. 🙂
Also! These are super yummy as a scoop for delicious dips. Here is my handsome husbands hand dipping them into taco chili. Other good ideas would be guacamole, soups or stews, pates, you name it! 🙂