This is my favorite winter breakfast to date. It warms me up, fills me up, and is full of salty sweet goodness.
Quick and Easy Carrot Ginger Soup:
Chicken Broth (Put lots of chicken bones, water, and a splash of vinegar in a crock pot. Turn on high until it comes to a boil, then turn on low for 24 hours. Drain the broth into a pot and discard bones.)
Salt and Pepper
1. Put chicken broth in a soup pot. Fill it with peeled chopped carrots until the carrots take up about 3/4 of the space of the broth. Add a knuckle of fresh ginger. (Feel free to add garlic and onions, if desired!)
2. Simmer until the carrots are just soft.
3. Puree in your blender. Adjust the salt and pepper.
4. Cool, then refrigerate until morning. (I usually store the soup in wide mouth mason jars.)
Creamy Carrot Soup with Sausage
1. Heat up a bowl’s worth of your carrot soup.
2. Saute sausage – or any other leftover protein that you need to use up. Use a good sauteing oil such as lard or coconut oil. The soup is pretty low-fat, so you’ll want to add some from the meat.
3. Mix into soup with some leftover vegetables, such as broccoli, green beans, Brussel sprouts or sauerkraut.