These are the delicious and easy answer to a bunless burger- even if they Are still a drippy mess! Every perfect burger is, right? The mushroom gives you something to hold onto on the bottom. Top it with avocado and tomato slices (and Bacon?!) with a lettuce piece to hold on the top of it. Juicy Perfection!!! (Eat over a plate!) 🙂 If you don’t have portobello mushrooms, just make burgers and wrap them in lettuce. It’s all good! 🙂
4 Portobello Mushrooms
1 pound ground beef- preferably grassfed (ground turkey or chicken would work great, too!)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
1/2 onion, chopped
4 large tomato slices
1 ripe avocado
1. Remove stems from mushrooms. Chop the stems into a fine dice.
2. Place ground beef in a bowl. Mix the beef, chopped mushroom stems, garlic powder, ground mustard, salt, pepper and chopped onion in with the beef. *Feel free to use any spice combination that you prefer!
3. Divide the beef between the 4 mushrooms, and press into the cavity.
4. Heat up your grill – or broiler. I grilled mine until they were nicely browned, both on the beef side and the portobello side, which brought it to a nice medium well. Just make sure they are done according to how you want them (if you use chicken or turkey be more careful to cook them all the way through, but be safe, regardless!) You can finish them in the oven if you need to.
5. Top with whatever toppings you want! Mine had avocado, tomato and lettuce.
6. Serve with Oven French Fries! Yummy! 🙂