I like this blend of spinach and cabbage because pure creamed spinach is just kind of intense, while cabbage by itself is a little boring. So the combination is perfect! 🙂 And the curry/cumin is completely optional! You could use garlic/onions or whatever combination of flavors you would like.
1 medium sized head of cabbage
2-3 Tbs. coconut oil
1 (1 pound) bag frozen spinach (Kale or Collard Greens would work well, too!)
1 can of full fat coconut milk
1 1/2 Tbs. curry powder
2 tsp. cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut the cabbage in quarters. Cut out the stem and chop into rough but small pieces.
2. Heat the coconut oil in a medium sized soup pot (the whole cabbage is a lot for a saute pan.)
3. Add the chopped cabbage, and saute over medium heat until it is tender and starting to turn brown, stirring occasionally (it will lose some volume). It will take a good 10 minutes.
4. Add the bag of frozen spinach, and heat until it is defrosted.
5. Stir in the coconut milk, spices, salt and pepper. Feel free to season as you wish.
6. Let it come to a creamy bubble, and it is ready to serve! This was very filling and made a hearty side dish. Enjoy! 🙂