I made beet kvass using this recipe, with some slight variations. You can read how she did hers, how I did mine, and try it! Beet Kvass is a healthy tonic that originated in Russia. It aids digestion and helps thin bile, is an amazing blood tonic, and is full of vitamins, vitality and life – you can read more about it here!
1 half Gallon mason jar
3 medium sized beets
1 1/2 Tbs. Sea Salt
1/2 cup purchased raw beet kvass (or from a previous batch – or whey)
Enough water to fill your jar
1. Peel and chop your beets. You don’t want them grated, just peeled and rough chopped.
2. Combine them with the other ingredients in your half gallon jar. Shake a little to dissolve.
3. Let sit out until the liquid is fairly opaque and tart. Most people say 3 days, but my house is cooler and I let it go 7 days. (If you taste it and it tastes like salty beet water, let it go longer…) Just stick the jar in the refrigerator when you are done.
4. Mine got a white film on it, so I looked it up, and you can read this site, it is fine! 🙂 Just skim it off and don’t worry about it.
5. Only drink a few ounces before a meal. A little goes a lone way! *Be careful, beets stain Everything! 🙂
6. Enjoy and be healthy! 🙂